Are you looking for new vegan dish today? Let me introduce to you a classic filipino vegetables that can be seen and it's just a common vegetable to find around.


Patola (Ribbed Luffah or Sponge Gourd) is a type of vine tree that usually grown and expand up to 3 to 4 months (more or less). Patola can bare many fruits in less than a week. The inner part of it's fruits has many seeds with soft pulp inside. However, patola has good source of fiber and vitamins. 


One of the famous dish for this was with meat and make it to a savory soup, the other one is combining the flavor of canton and the sweetness of patola (any egg noodle). A newly harvest patola has sweet aroma and taste, it's richness and texture was delicate and can be compared to boiled corn. But today, I'm gonna try to make a fritter version out of patola.



Here are the Ingredients:



½ of big Patola

½ cup flour

½ tsp baking powder

2 tbsp of corn starch

1 egg

Salt and some extra seasoning

Cooking Oil for frying


Here's what I did:



I cut the patola in half and divide it into 4 parts. Peeled the skin and take off the seeds with the pulp using a spoon. I make sure that the hard part of patola remains.



Then I cut it into thin slices (the thinner the better) and place it into a bowl with some salt added. I let it rest for a while so I can separate the excess moisture from patola.



In the same bowl, I add in the egg, flour, baking powder, corn starch, salt and seasoning. Don't put any water to avoid a runny batter, the remaining moisture from patola and the egg combines well. 


I give a good mix till well incorporated. I pre-heated my cooking pan and put enough oil to fry the fritters. I scoop 1 tbsp for each mixture and fry it on medium high heat till golden brown each sides.


Note: If you'd like to try this recipe, I highly recommend that you deep fry it at big wok in high heat. This can create more crispy texture like tempura I guess so. Hope you could check this out and try it on your own.

Here's the final dish!



Gracias ♥️

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post