HOW TO CREATE SONGS USING 5 CHORDS ONLY


Yesterday while playing my guitar, i repeatedly play 5 chords and trying to train myself to make a melody out from a 5 chords/note several times. My ear seems wanting to find more and trying to distinguished what music should i wanted to create. Most local songs (OPM) used lots of chords on creating songs. Since i've been recently studying new songs from western country, i observed that they do not used lots of chords for the whole song itself, but the result was so good. Like the song from Maroon 5 - Memories, you may notice they uses only 6 chords for the intro, verse, pre chorus and chorus and even in the outro! How amazing was that! I knew that foreign artist created music in a different way compared to other country. Yet i'm still a fan of OPM but if you'd like to be more unique without stressing yourself putting for so many chords on your written songs.
$ads={1}

1. CHOOSE YOUR VOCAL RANGE CORRECTLY


Being able to produce and create your own songs, you have all the rights and freedom to chose which key will your voice to be comfortable. There are songs that's made not created to fit on your range, that's why if you have gift in songwriting that makes a big difference. However it's up to you if you wanted to be more adventurous to try something out of your comfort zone.


The key that you needed to think is related to the next 4 to 5 chords that you will use later in your songs. A female range is safe between G (G D Em C) and D (D Bm G A) but for some artist they don't stick in that range. I am now trying to practice making sounds out from Minor chords like C Minor and A Minor. There is a distinct sounds from minor that reflects song to more emotional and sentimental. If you are a male i would suggest to try from key of  A, C, and E and G also works.

I do believe that men has higher range capacity than women. Well this is just my personal opinion though you can disagree with me here. I remember having a do re mi vocal session accompanied with a piano, me and my guy friend sang together. Octave to octave from lowest do re mi, i think my voice can't reach clearly from the 4th or 5th octave hence my guy friend easily sang it. I know that male and female tones are not equal but from my observation, male vocals may reach higher notes than female. Again this is just my opinion :)
$ads={2}
2. JAM WITH THAT CHORDS TO CREATE YOUR UNIQUE MELODY

You wanted to make your songs standout to others right? The Melody is the Charm of your Creation. Most of us discover and love a song from hearing a melody from some part of a song. That is why some song with a good melody makes an ace in music industry. Some artist we're gifted in that area but for you like me as a beginner, we need to understand that it may takes more time. We need to train ourselves the 'Not so Ordinary Impact' in every single songs we made. I personally does this techniques many times and it never fails me.

I grab my acoustic guitar, play some chords and hymn all along the music. In this way you can anticipate what kind of song will you make. Just yesterday i made myself my very first "Heartbreak Song". This is not usual for me 'cause I've never experienced yet to be broken and luckily it went well. I just jam with myself trying to explore chords and melody that i wanted becomes more clear and clear. Remember that when you feel tired on pushing yourself to produce songs on a limited time, it is not wrong to rest and pause for a while.

3. RECORD IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

You can't repeat the melody that was new to you exactly the first time that you did, that's why it is important that you may take time to record it.

Remembering the melody that you created might not be easy that's why it's a big help that you recorded it after every tone that you liked. Using your android phone really works. You can record as many voices clips 'till you wanted it. Aside from that , this is the easiest way also to analyze which melody is better.

In the long run of this 3 tips, you can now practice it  in your every songwriting session. Some songs can come out less than 10 minutes if your mind is in good condition but some may take over a week and a month. Our own music means a lot to every artist that's why we need our full attention and passion for this. Let's make beautiful OPM music today!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post