How to make DIY Mayonaise | First Try


I love watching tutorial about arts and crafts and also cooking of course. Apparently i get hooked onto something that looks so easy to do and can cost me money on buying this product in the market. Since i haven't been tasted a mayonnaise for a long time (cheese is my first love lol!) i give it a try. I've watched several tutorial videos on YT and collect all the differences of other recipes to another. I was focused on not using a mustard for my mayonnaise. I wanted to have a recipe that i already have in my pantry then the most alternative one for mustard is vinegar or a lemon juice. But for this first try i used white vinegar. Most tutorial they uses a food processor but i don't have that one, so i try to look for an alternative one and a hand mixer can work. The good news i have a hand mixer so i am ready now!
$ads={1}
So how was it? Is it easy to made or a fail? I will share my journey to this mayonnaise making for a first timer like me.

These are the complete list of Ingredients:


1 whole large egg
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 tbsp of white vinegar
1 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of sugar
Dash of pepper

Procedure:

1. In a mixing bowl combine the egg, oil (divide into 3-4 parts by gradually adding it) salt, sugar, vinegar and pepper
2. In a high speed mix in to incorporate all the ingredients together. Slowly add the oil then stir.

3. When you are about to see the thickness starting to form. Taste the mayonnaise and you can adjust to add more sugar, salt and vinegar it's just depend on you. 


4. Mix and mix until you achieve the thickness and consistency that you want.
$ads={2}
Personal Experience and Tips:

1. To be honest at first i can make it the way it used to be but i fail. But not fail at all lol. As you may see in the photo while i am mixing it, I've notice that i did something wrong, and i am wondering why the mixture don't achieve the thickness like on the tutorial. When i review the video tutorial again, my fault is I've mixed the oil to the egg too soon.

2. Most recipes of mayonnaise uses mustard and i replace it in a vinegar. You can also use lemon or calamansi juice. I don't know what exactly the taste of mustard but i think it is the reason why the common mayonnaise taste sourly.

Tips:

You need to whisk the egg and the condiments alone, about a minute when you see the egg looks thicker then add the vegetable oil (little by little). Using a hand mixer is a bit slower to make a mayonnaise thicker. Since i haven't achieved the thickness and richness that i wanted my second option was to used a blender. I put all the mixture to the blender and less than 1 minute the mixture look like a mayonnaise already. 

If you want to try this one, you need to follow all the tips and my personal experience may help you to achieve a perfect and creamy mayonnaise. Some people also put pickles relish, ham or bacon bits and even egg and i know it taste good though.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post