Make your own PIAYA at home (Super Easy with just 3 Ingredients)




Piaya is a flat bread with muscovado sugar inside. This flat bread can be compare to the a pita bread. The process of toasting it over a pan was less time and gas consuming. Piaya was a traditional filipino food delicacy and popular to the western Visayas region like in Cebu. There are other flavors you can try like ube but for this recipe I will just make the classic muscovado sugar filling but again replacing the sugar with lighter brown sugar. I don't have any other sugar left in my pantry so since it was just a lockdown/recipe edition, whatever left in your kitchen can work too. Like any flat bread, you need to knead this dough but it doesn't mean that it requires an expertise hands to do so (I am not a pro baker though). So here is the complete list of ingredients you'll be needing for PIAYA.

Ingredients

DOUGH:





2 cups of All Purpose flour (I just used an ordinary flour and it is a lot cheaper)

¾ cup of water

2-3 tbsp of Vegetable or Sesame Oil or ½ cup of vegetable shortening

A pinch of Salt


FILLING:



1 cup of sugar (brown or more darker brown much better)

1 cup of flour

1 tsp of vanilla extract (optional)

3-4 tbsp of water

* If you have sesame seeds you can add for additional flavor

Here's how:

1. In a mixing bowl combine the dough ingredients. Gently mix them all together then put the dough in a dusted flour and gently give the dough a good mix and knead it. If you feel that your dough was a little bit dry and hard to work on, add on some water but be careful to add more than enough to give the dough a little moist and wet.


2. It may take 10 minutes to knead the dough until you can see it elastic. Rest the dough in a while and do the filling.

3. On a separate bowl combine the filling ingredients. Make it sure to blend it together and the texture would be like a dough. You need to be careful not putting more water than required to this recipe or else your filling will be sticky and it would be hard to put it inside your dough. Knead the filling mixture on a dusted surface for some time until you can feel that all the ingredients come together. You can chill this for 10 minutes but I don't do that 'cause I'm in a hurry lol!


4. Roll the dough, cut and form a ball depending on your desire grams. I have made 12-13 pieces from this but if you made a smaller one I think you can make up to 24 pieces.

5. Do the same method on your filling and divide according to the dough pieces you've made. Made it round shape.


6. After you form the dough, flatten it on your palm. Make a curve of hole in the middle but do not pressed to hard for it can make your dough to tear apart.

Get your filling inside your dough. Close the upper part of the dough by slightly pressing it on top like doing a siopao. Sorry I can't describe how exactly I did it, I know that you can do it based on your instinct :D


7. After you seal your dough, get a rolling pin (or any bottle that can press a dough like a pizza) gently presses the dough according to your desire thickness. In this recipe I made thinner version of piaya and I love how it looks like. Once your done dust again with flour all of the piaya.

8. Prepare your frying pan, any kind of pan or if you have a Non Stick Pan much better, but this recipe I can assure you that it won't stick on your pan even without applying any butter to toast this flat breads.


I put 3 pieces at a time and cooked over low to medium heat and cover for 2-3 minutes per side. The cooking time will depend on you stove. Don't leave your  piaya breads unattended or else it will burnt.

9. Once your done get a clean piece of cloth on top of piaya and cover to ensure the moisture.



I just spent around 40 pesos for this recipe. I am glad that I made this recipe during quarantine season. Another recipe added to my list and I am glad that I share this to you. Hope you could try this at home and enjoy this recipe.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post