HOW TO COMPOSE YOUR OWN SONG 


Are you a singer? A musician or a song writer? What makes your music different from others? I think there's an edge for a singer or musician who can write songs.


There's a big and obvious difference that anyone can notice it. Musicality, melody, the dynamics and the creativity of an artist should always be there in composing songs. Recently i became a fan of Charlie Puth. I only knew few things about him and his hit song 'See You Again'. I never knew that he wrote his song 'Attention' and i love how he made it. The beat and his long experience in music makes his songs so different and unique. I did some research about how he made songs by a simple recording a melody on his phone, then put it on a keys, plays more and more and define what his ears will like it.
$ads={1}
As a newbie, i am inspired musically by him and Ed Sheeran, so i think this is the right time to share my simple knowledge about writing songs. As of this moment i only have 1 song that i made myself a few months ago. It is a Love Song and today i will discuss how i made it from simple melody to actual putting the lyrics and chords together.

1. CHOOSE YOUR DESIRE CONCEPT FOR YOUR SONG AND GENRE

Before i make a song i realize that i have to decide first what kind of song should i make. Is this for a heartbroken song, an inspirational/gospel song, or a love song. I chose the love song and helps me to write little by little my lyrics. The step 1 will be a good guide to save more time on creating melody.

If you have already the lyrics you have to choose from it the Title. The Title of a song can help your song to be more fixed to the concept that you wanted.

2. CREATE A MELODY


In some situation the melody comes first before the lyrics. Maybe because you can simply create hymn and so on. But be sure to record it while experimenting sounds. Your ears couldn't remember exactly what you did so a phone recorder is the fastest way for it. If you are a type of artist that like to explore more ideas on other artist that was fine but always remember that DO NOT DUPLICATE. Be ORIGINAL just get some ideas to help you to be more creative.
$ads={2}

3. PUT THE CHORDS FOR YOUR MELODY


A Guitar or Piano is the better one for this. Most musician nowadays have MIDI Keyboard. Personally i haven't use that but i wanted it to have soon. Midi Keys helps you to create sounds so easily. The drums or bass are just a tap away. That's a big help anyways. But for the traditional instruments like guitars and piano was good too. I made my song just on my acoustic guitar. If you have piano that is better. You don't need expensive recording equipment when you are just starting. :)

4. FINALIZED YOUR VOICE RANGE


A right tune will depend on your vocal range. For female range like me sometimes fit the Key of D, G, and E. It's up to you what will fit to your voice without forcing it. Do not try to imitate artist with a higher range, this will not help your voice to be more comfortable. No to torture voices right? :) A Capo for acoustic guitars really helps me on deciding what will be my songs final tune. It sounded so good and came out exactly as i wanted to come out.

5. REHEARS YOUR SONG OVER AND OVER

.
In some point repeating your songs over and over can help you to finalize, remove, edit or replace something for your song to enhance it. Personally on my song, i edited some lyrics and replace some of it that will fit exactly to the melody that i made. Remember that your lyrics will not perfectly fit right in your melody. So editing it is normal. Patience will be your BFF while doing that. If you keep on rehearsing your song you will be the one who will know first what is missing or lacking on your music.

6. CHOOSE YOUR PREFERRED LANGUANGE/DIALECT

I am from the Philippines and i find it more easy to wrote a song on Tagalog (my dialect). So why i chose to do it if i can also knew how to speak/write in English?

I am more comfortable on my own language. Since this is my first song composition i wanted to put a lyrics that is easy to understand in my country and this is my target audience as well. I don't want to stressed out myself on putting the right grammar in my English composition. It will give me more stress on my first try to write my own song. I think it was a brilliant way to ease a future problem. But i am not saying that songs written in English are not good for beginner. This is just me, if you are fluent enough on English dialect go for it guys!


Just try and try and i know at first try will not be easy. Get an inspiration and create your unique sounds. Have a enjoyable musical journey! :)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post