Today I wanted to share one of the my longest cravings since 2017. The first time I've tried Takoyaki was from a food stall in Manila. I didn't know anything about this kind of food before so we gave it a try since the process of making this food looks fantastic. 

At first bite, I wanted it more but it's quite expensive for just 3-4 pieces of takoyaki. I am blessed to have my own takoyaki pan just arrived this week.


I've watched lots of tutorials that can give me some ideas and tips how to make a recipe and how would be the proper way of cooking it. I don't have most of the right ingredients of takoyaki which was popularized in Japan.


Tako means octopus and Yaki means to grill/fry. I cannot say that my recipe today uses octopus bits but I used alternative one just to have a closer taste from octopus.


Some basic ingredients of takoyaki were very expensive like bonito flakes, tenkasu and aonori yet not all supermarkets have it. Some people sell it online for business package including the ready to use flour, toppings and sauces. 

But I do love to experiment food recipes out from simple ingredients that is available everywhere, I made my simple and very affordable version of takoyaki. 

Here's what I used:

• Squid balls, (in replacement for octopus)

• Cabbage (in replacement for green onion) and dried shrimp.



• My own flavored mix of batter (I don't have dashi so I just experiment the taste by mixing some shrimp broth, salt, pepper and eggs.) 

• Most recipe uses APF but 3rd class flour can work too just don't forget to add egg.
 

• I used 2 eggs in my mixture, baking powder and just combine all together and the consistency of the batter should be runny or more liquid content.


I pre-heated my takoyaki pan and drops some oil. Then I carefully pour out the batter and set my stove into low-medium heat. The process was easy at first, I just put all the toppings and my secret ingredients. After few seconds I add more batter to cover the pan without any space left.


The flipping time will depend on your stove heat or if your takoyaki batter is cooked. I needed to add more oil at this stage because the batter has already sip the first oil that I put. 

One of the secret to have a crunchy outside texture of takoyaki is giving the takoyaki the oil if needed. Some instructions that I saw, they put generous amount of oil, but in my case I avoid too much oil lately so I prefer that if the Takoyaki was hard to flip and roll, put oil and it works well.


Wait till it turns out brown and make sure that it is cooked evenly. I spread mine with my home made takoyaki sauce and mayonnaise. Here's my humble creation guys, Oishi! ❤


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post