Would you like to cook something new today? I've got a new recipe to share for you and I am sure that you will love it as much as I did. So what's our recipe for today?  



Here in the Philippines one of the biggest fast food restaurant here has a Tuna Pie on their menu and it tastes so good but the price is not that cheap so I decided to try making my own Tuna Pie with just simple and basic ingredients that I have in hand. 

This kind of Tuna Pie which I will do today is fried but you can bake it too. When you fried it, the crust is crispy but when you bake it, it will be less in oil but the flaky crispness of the crust was not similar. If you are familiar with tart, that one maybe close to the texture of the crust when bake. There is also term we had here for foods that was fried with crust and filling, we called it here Empanada. That was one of my favorite and I will surely make a blog when I complete all the ingredients that I'll be needing.

Here are the ingredients:

2 cup flour
1tbsp. of sugar
⅓ cup of water (just add a bit more if your dough is dry)
½ cup shortening (I use vegetable oil and put at least 3 tbsp. since I don't have shortening)

Filling

1 Can Tuna (Flakes in Oil)
1 medium size carrots
½ medium size onion
2 cloves of garlic


2 tsp of cornstarch
¼ cup water



Salt and Pepper
Green Peas, Celery and Cheese (Optional)

How to do:

1.Mix all the Crust ingredients. Combine them completely and form a ball. Let it rest and set aside.


2.On a pan, saute garlic, onion and carrots using the oil from the Tuna. Cook the carrots enough then add the Tuna and it's broth. Put ¼ cup of water, some salt and pepper according to your preferred taste.

3.Add in the Cornstarch dissolve in water first. Do not add directly the cornstarch to the tuna. Stir it fast till well blended and cook.


4.Transfer into a small container and allow to cool to be ready for filling.

5.Get your dough and roll it into dusted surface. Cut it by 12 pieces. Using a rolling pin, press the dough for at least 1 inch thickness or depend on your desire thickness.


6.Take 1 tbsp. of Tuna filling, place in the middle of the dough/crust then fold in. Seal the edges using a fork or you can use your hands to do some circle motion to the edges. If you have an Empanada molder much better.

7.You can deep it fry but I don't have enough cooking oil. I just put enough oil to cover at least half of the tuna pie. It can be cook like this but for better result I recommend to deep fry it. 



8.Flip it over both sides until golden brown. Strain with some tissue for excess oil. Serve while hot to taste the crispness of the crust. 


I also suggest that you put some cheddar cheese. This can add additional flavor and level up it's taste. I love cheese so I will make another batch of this when I can go out to buy cheese and other ingredients.

Note: The filling is hot so be careful while you eat this. 


So here is my simplest, cheapest yet delicious Tuna Pie. Hope you could try this one at home and I'm sure your kids will love it. I think you won't need to buy from fast food if you already tried to make this at home. You can save more money but eat many lol :)



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post