Frosting makes the cakes more delicious and attractive. Cakes without frosting can work too but cakes would always have frosting or icing. There are different kinds of frosting that can be decorated on your cakes and cupcakes. Nowadays, many bakers had enhance their skills in cake decorating and uses to made a basic cakes to professional and elegant looking cakes. Like Western and European countries, Asian countries had their own style for cakes and that makes sense for pastry chefs to produce a master piece cakes.


However, cake frosting or icing may be expensive for one of the basic ingredients of frosting or icing was the butter. Good quality butter can really enhance the taste of your butter cream. In this blog, I tried to make Swiss Meringue Butter Cream but I replace the butter to margarine. My sister wasn't able to buy a butter so I made a decision and try to substitute the butter to margarine.

Margarine is a lot more cheaper compare to the butter. But when it comes to the taste, butter really taste better than margarine and knowing that butter are made from milk, you will definitely wanting for butter alone. When it comes to baking, I usually don't have the exact ingredients that the recipe was originally made. I have to look for substitute ingredients but the result sometimes ruin the recipe.

So I wanted to make it clear that I just tried to substitute the butter to margarine but if you have a butter, you should use it instead of margarine. Let get started.

Here's what you need:

5 medium egg whites (4 large)
2 cups white sugar
2 cups softened butter (not to hard not to melted)
Vanilla
Violet food coloring (liquid)

Here's how to do:

1.Separate the egg whites to the egg yolks. Put the sugar and give a little whisk.


2.Sterilize the egg whites and dissolve the sugar using a double boiler method. This may take up to 5 minutes just make sure that you whisk the egg whites and sugar while being heated by the double boiler.

3. Allow the egg whites to cool completely before whisking it. You can put it inside the fridge and cover it. 

4.Begin to whisk the egg whites medium to high speed till glossy peak texture. 



5.Gradually add in the fats (butter or margarine). You must do it little by little till it becomes fluffy and lighter in color.

6.At this point you add some melted chocolate or any flavors that you'd like. Drops some food color and vanilla extract or just the way it is. You can now use it on your cakes and cupcake frosting. 


The Swiss Meringue Butter Cream needed to be done with proper understanding to it's procedure. If you whisk the egg whites while itcs hot then eventually add your fats, it will melt resulting for your frosting to curdle  and do not hold shape. In my case when I did my frosting, I felt that my egg whites are still warm but I ignore it and add the fats. At a closer look, you may see that it curdle but the taste was great! 

I can say that margarine also works for swiss meringue when it is done correctly but I know that the consistency and the taste have a big difference. As I said before, I am not a pro baker; I just love to cook and bake that's why my own struggle and experiences in cooking and baking may be a help for those who are just beginning to bake with limited resources. 


The best part of baking was the labor. The labor that I mean here is the good feedback on your work. When my family taste it, they all wanting for more. They give compliment to the cakes taste and the frosting as well. It made my heart smile and all my effort had been paid off. If I am able to push it as a business, this will be one of my dreams to come true. Though I love to sing I also love to bake and eat cakes. A double career though :D

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post