I've been so attached on a baking tutorial channel in YouTube. There are millions of videos about bread making and some of them are easy yet seem too sophisticated to be done. I am looking for some tutorial that was simple to follow and can serve many yields. That means I was looking for a tutorial with actual costing and yields for business purposes. I am lucky that I found the one that I was looking for and surprisingly a fellow filipino was behind that channel.

So to interrupt my story for a while, today I will try to make a Chocolate Donut by following a recipe from my favorite baking/food blogger. The person behind Lutong Tinapay Channel is a lady. Her name is Cristine Rondilla and she has a bakery business. No wonder why her recipes and all of her work was design for business purposes. Her skills when kneading the dough looks so easy on her knowing the fact that she's a girl. In the Philippines, men are common bakers in town so this lady made me think that women can knead dough with extra strength.

Her recipe of donut making which I really love lately made me try to make a donut today. I am nervous how it will turn out, can I make a well rise dough or I will fail? I bought all the ingredients that I'll be needing and started to prepare those things earlier. I am both excited and nervous at the same time, wishing it turn out good! So here are the ingredients that I will use in this recipe


Ingredients:

Dough

500 grams All Purpose Flour
⅓ cup butter/margarine/shortening
2 tsp of instant dry yeast
½ cup powder milk 
⅓ cup of sugar
½ cup of cocoa powder (hershey)
½ tsp of salt
1 ¼ cup of water



Chocolate Ganache Filling

1 big can Evaporated Milk
½ cup of cocoa powder
1 cup of sugar
6 tbsp of cornstarch
2 tsp of instant coffee powder (optional)
2 tbsp of butter



Here's how to do:

Dough

1. On a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast and cocoa powder. Then add the sugar, milk, salt and water mix well until the flour absorb the water then add in the butter/margarine or shortening. 



2.Knead the dough for 12-15 minutes, you can add some extra flour if you feel the dough was too sticky. Do not put so much flour or else your dough can be stiff.

3.When your dough bowl looks clean put some oil to the dough and the bottom surface of your bowl to prevent it from drying and sticking.



4.Rest the dough for 45-1 hour, cover with towel or any kind of tray that can cover the whole bowl. Place in a dry and warm place.





While your dough is resting, you can proceed on making your Chocolate Ganache Filling.


1.In a sauce pan, combine the cocoa powder, evaporated milk and sugar. Dissolve the cornstarch before adding it. Turn on the fire over low to medium heat buy continue stirring it.

2.I added 2 tsp of instant coffee powder just to enhance the chocolate flavor since I only use few measurement of cocoa.


3.Keep your eye over it and continue to stir it. It may take from 8-10 minutes before it thickens. When it thickens you can add the margarine and turn off the heat. Let it cool and set aside.


Now check your dough if it already risen or double it's size. Punch or press the dough to release some air. Get back to our dough.

1.Now gently knead and divide your dough in 4 parts. Roll the dough then cut into desire grams. Maybe my donut weighs between 20-30 grams I guess so.


2.Put some extra oil onto your working surface, your dough to prevent them from sticking.

3.Roll the dough to circle shape using your hand then slightly press using a rolling pin. 

4.Place the dough apart from other dough to prevent it from sticking while resting. Don't forget to brush with oil your trays.



5.Rest it again for another set of an hour or until double in size when you check it. Cover with towel and put in a dry and warm place.

6.Once your dough looks ready, start to turn on your stove in low medium heat and put generous of oil into your pan. 


7.Fry your donut both sides till slightly brown. Remember to be careful when getting the donuts to frying. Do not squeeze you dough or else it will cause your donut to fall resulting to your donut deflate.


9.Put into a parchment paper to absorb excess oil. Fry all the donuts and allow to cool before putting the filling.


Assembling (Coating and Streussel)


1.Get a stick to make whole in your dough. Squeeze inside donut the chocolate ganache filling. 


2.I prepare my powder sugar coating earlier, I use my DIY powdered sugar and 3 tbsp of Evaporated Milk. Give it a mix.

3.I use in just an ordinary streussel. ½ cup powdered sugar and ½ cup of milk powder. Give it a mix.


4.Now brush your donut with the coating then transfer to the streussel. Coat donut both sides and shake some excess crumbs.



Things to remember when following a tutorial.

1.First try can't give you best result. 

2.In baking the process of kneading and resting the dough in actual was crucial. 

3.Though you think you follow the tutorial carefully, most result may varies. Experiencing it with your own hands was the best way to teach you.

Disclaimer: I didn't make the donut risen enough so I will rate my dough score 5 out of 10 but the filling I will boast about it. It really taste so good! I love the flavor the consistency can be pipe for cakes. My simple streussel and coating blends well too. I smell the same smell the commercial donuts has. My only fail I can say was my dough but I will not stop here. I'm gonna try to make it and I am hoping for my second try gives me a better result. 


Special thanks for Lutong Tinapay Youtube channel for this awesome and simple recipe.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post